Drivers, you’re on the road all day, the amount of time you get in the sun, let alone the daylight, can be minimal. So how are you getting the proper amount of Vitamin D? The good news is, you’re not alone. A high percentage of the population is deficient in Vitamin D, and decreased sunlight in the winter months doesn’t do anyone any favors.
Sometimes people overlook the health benefits and nutrients Vitamin D can give, and if you fall in that category, here’s some quick education. From Bone Health to over mental health Vitamin D does way more than we realize. Here a few of the main thing Vitamin D helps with.
- Bone Health – We need Vitamin D to absorb calcium, also deficiency in Vitamin D for too long can become osteoporosis.
- Blood Sugar Regulation, Insulin Resistance – Vitamin D has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity and decrease resistance
- Immune Function- Helps prevent infections and influenza.
- Cardiovascular Health- Vitamin D is very important in reducing Cardiovascular diseases. High levels of Vitamin D are associated with heart health
- SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) – Yes it’s very real – Vitamin D boost serotonin levels in the brain with help keep your mood up during the gloomy winter months.
There are many foods high in vitamin D! Do a little research and find some foods you like to help increase your intake!